As part of the European Union-funded Horizon2020 Palliative Sedation project, the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC) will present a FREE 60-minute webinar on Thursday 3rd June 2021 (14.00 CET). Members of the consortium, Jeroen Hasselaar, Julie Ling and Sheila Payne invite you to join the webinar.
The EAPC is proud to host the first in a series of webinars on the interesting and yet sometimes still challenging topic of palliative sedation. Palliative sedation involves the intentional lowering of consciousness of patients in the last phase of life. The EU-funded Horizon2020 Palliative Sedation project consists of a large consortium of experienced clinicians, international researchers and academics working together to explore palliative sedation through a range of studies and work packages. In most European countries, this is considered a medical treatment although practices vary widely. This first webinar will introduce the topic and will focus on the clinical aspects of palliative sedation.
What can I gain by joining the webinar?
During this first webinar there will be three complementary presentations.
- The first will present an overview of the topic and how the palliative sedation project aims to address issues pertaining to palliative sedation (Dr Jeroen Hasselaar, project coordinator, the Netherlands).
- The second presentation will concentrate on the findings of an extensive literature review about the clinical aspects of palliative sedation (Prof Dr Maria Arantzamendi, Spain). This resulted in the publication of two review studies covering topics such as the nature of refractory symptoms, the possible role of existential suffering, and the assessment of sedated patients.
- Finally, Prof Dr Kris Vissers (the Netherlands) will introduce some clinical cases based on his extensive experience as a pain and palliative care specialist.
The webinar will be chaired by Prof Sheila Payne (UK) who will ensure that you have an opportunity to ask questions.
This webinar offers an opportunity for clinicians and researchers to engage in debate about a complex and controversial end-of-life care treatment option. The implications of an array of clinical approaches to end-of-life care are likely to reflect social and cultural norms and values. We hope that this webinar will help to cut through the bewildering extensive literature by presenting the most up-to-date synthesis of what is known and by sharing clinical experience from the Netherlands. Attendance is open to anyone with an interest in palliative sedation.
How can I register?
Please register here https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GI2J_jH1TbKThA4g9r0fEQ to secure your place. Places are limited and will be available on a first-come first-served basis.
Links and resources
- Palliative Sedation project website.
- Read more posts from members of the Horizon 2020 Palliative Sedation project on the EAPC blog.
- EAPC Palliative Sedation Task Force.