Dr David Oliver, Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Wisdom Hospice, Rochester, and Honorary Reader, University of Kent, UK, is a member of the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC) Board of Directors. Here, he gives some highlights from the board’s recent meeting held in Dublin on 3-4 October.
The new EAPC Board (2015-2019) met for the first time in Dublin, Ireland, with the new president, Professor Phil Larkin. This is the beginning of a new era for the EAPC with many challenges and opportunities over the coming four years.
The board spent time getting to know each other and teambuilding. There was a busy and full agenda. Some of the board decisions included:
- The 9th World Research Congress will be held in Dublin, 9-11 May 2016
- The 15th World Congress will be held in Madrid, 11-13 May 2017
- The 10th World Research Congress will take place in Bern, Switzerland in 2018
- The 16th World Congress will take place in Paris, France in June 2019.
The EAPC has increasing social media presence and there has been a 21% increase in all areas – Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and the EAPC Blog. Members can keep in touch with the work of the EAPC and developments in palliative care by signing up for blog alerts or following us on Facebook, Linkedin or Twitter (@EAPCOnlus).
The board is looking at the best ways of fostering and strengthening collaboration with other European and worldwide associations and societies. We currently have strong links with organizations, such as the Worldwide Hospice Palliative Care Alliance (WHPCA) and International Association for Hospice and Palliative Care (IAHPC) and are in the process of developing links with the World Health Organization and the European Commission. Our task forces have developed links with ESMO (European Society for Medical Oncology) and the EUGMS (European Union Geriatric Medicine Society) among others. The board welcomes comments and suggestion from members on how to strengthen the development of palliative care throughout Europe, and enhance collaboration with other organisations internationally.
We look forward to hearing from you!
- Abstract submission deadline for 9th World Research Congress extended until 31 October 2015.
- Online registration for the congress is now open – early bird registration deadline: 6 March 2016. Visit the congress website for more information.
EAPC Early Researcher Award
The criteria and application form for the Early Researcher Award is available online. This year we will award three separate awards: one for early researchers, one for researchers at post doc. level and one for clinical researchers.
Deadline for applications: 13 December 2015.
- Read posts from previous ERA winners here.
- To download eligibility criteria and an application form, please visit the congress website (Choose ‘Scientific’ and follow links to ‘Early Research Award’.