Dr David Oliver, EAPC Board member; Consultant in Palliative Medicine, Wisdom Hospice, Rochester and Honorary Reader Centre for Professional Practice, University of Kent, UK, explains what’s going on behind the scenes at the European Association for Palliative Care (EAPC)
The EAPC Board met in Milan from 25th to 26th October 2013. The venue was a hotel near to the airport, aiming to ease travel to and from the meeting and allow an intensive two days of discussion. There was the opportunity to look at the wide spread of activity of the EAPC – with Taskforces, Congresses, collaboration with other groups across Europe and increasing opportunities for advocacy and explaining palliative care to an even wider audience.
The following areas were discussed:
- The 8th EAPC World Research Congress takes place in Lleida, Spain from 5th to 7th June 2014, with a training seminar the day before. Everyone is very welcome to come and meet together in this lovely Spanish city with a wonderful climate and easy transfer by coach from Barcelona airport to the train station, for a high-speed connection.
- The 14th EAPC World Congress in Copenhagen from 7th to 10th May 2015 – the plans are progressing. Put the date in your diary!
- There is increasing use of social media with:
- Almost 66,000 views on the EAPC blog since we started in early 2012
- An average daily hit of 135
- 1,016 Facebook followers
- 584 Twitter followers (@EAPCONLUS)
- Followers are primarily from western Europe (74%), and also 6.8% from eastern Europe, 5.4% from the Americas, 1.7% from Oceania, 1.7% from the Middle East and 1% from Africa.
Join in the discussion now!
The EAPC Research Network is involved in several projects, including:
- A prospective study for the care of patients who have received radiotherapy for bone metastases.
- EAPC Minimum Data Set for research in palliative care.
- European Commission funded study called InSup-C investigating integrated care pathways in cancer and chronic disease.
- European Commission funded study called PACE that aims to introduce palliative care into care homes for older people using action research methods.
The Prague Charter has continued to develop – advocating for palliative care as a human right. More than 6,700 people have now signed the Charter from across the world and there are now 21 translations. During 2014, a survey of EAPC members will be undertaken to see how the Charter has been used and the changes in awareness of palliative care it has engendered. This is an ongoing project and we need your involvement – sign up now, tell your friends and colleagues, see how you can help in showing the importance of palliative care.
There is increasing collaboration with other groups, including:
- European Society of Medical Oncology – joining their palliative care group and involvement in the production of guidelines.
- European Union of Geriatric Medicine Societies and the Maruzza Foundation looking at the care of older people.
- The Maruzza Foundation is looking at palliative care for children.
- European CanCer Organisation (ECCO), helping in the formation of multidisciplinary guidelines.
- Palliative Care Network Online Congress – we’re supporting this online resource.
- European partnership for action against cancer – a statement on multidisciplinary cancer care.
Although there was no real opportunity to see anything of Milan, as the meeting was intensive over the two days, we were able to sample the delights of Italian cooking and hospitality!
The EAPC welcomes comments and ideas from members – the aim is to share information across Europe and the Board is keen to receive information from members and those working in palliative care. Please use the new social media contacts and contributions are very welcome. Anyone is welcome to contact the President, Professor Sheila Payne.
Early Researcher Award 2014 – last call for nominations
The EAPC wishes to recognise the effort of novice researchers from Europe who make an outstanding contribution to palliative care research. The winner of the Early Researcher Award will be invited to give a plenary lecture at the 8th EAPC World Research Congress in Lleida. The EAPC is looking forward to your nomination!